I never wanted a Netflix account, why you ask ? Because I watch tons of tv shows and I was always worried I would get so sucked up in Netflix that I would keep watching more shows and movies, I get so easily distracted by them that often I forget to do homework or any other school related thing. My parents never wanted to buy a Netflix account, probably because of that reason.
But then a few months ago I had a weak moment and yes, you probably guessed by the title; I got a Netflix account. I came across so many movies I had forgotten about, or found tv shows I always wanted to watch, but was always to lazy to find them online. And yes, there I went and watched so many things. But I don’t regret it at all, I’m loving Netflix. I do realise that they take down movies or tv shows sometimes or don’t have all seasons to a tv show on there, but nevertheless I enjoy using it.
All these picks (I will make separate lists for tv shows and movies) have different plots. Some will leave you emotional, some will make you smile, but most important they give you a new perspective on certain topics. Disclaimer: A few of these plots I used from IMDb. Here it goes:
- The Fall: Stella Gibson (portrayed by the lovely Gillian Anderson), from the Metropolitan Police, has been asked to help the police in Ireland. A serial killer is on the loose and Stella, with the help of local detectives, has to track down and capture him. Within a few minutes of the pilot of the show the serial killer is revealed and it is Paul Spector. A married man and father of two, begins to develop some feelings towards his children’s babysitter Katie. But that isn’t his biggest issue; he is targeting the young women of Belfast. Crime, drama, romance, darkness. So many different genres are going on here, sometimes scenes were a little disturbing, but gosh, what a fantastic show! I’m still on season 2 (out of 3) so let’s wait and see if it continues to be this great.
- Outlander: Outlander follows the story of Claire Randall, a combat nurse from 1945 who is married to Frank Randall, a professor. One day she travels to Craigh Na Dun (Scotland), a circle with ancient stones, as she touches them she travels back in time to 1743 where she is immediately thrown into an unknown world. Luckily for her, her husband Frank has taught her a lot about the highlands of Scotland and she uses that to survive. Once there she is forced to marry Jamie Fraser, a chivalrous and romantic young Scottish warrior. A passionate affair is ignited that tears Claire’s heart between two vastly different men in two irreconcilable lives. The series spins the genres of romance, science fiction, history, and adventure into one epic tale. I finished both seasons of this show, how sad I was to find out I was already at the end, but don’t be sad! There will be a season 3.
- Stranger Things: I am pretty sure you’re sick of hearing of this tv show, but it is worth the hype, it truly is. In case you haven’t heard of it, here’s the plot of the story: On November 6, 1983, in the town of Hawkins, Indiana, 12-year-old Will Byers vanishes mysteriously. Will’s frantic mother, Joyce, searches for him while Police Chief Jim Hopper launches his own investigation. Will’s friends Dustin, Mike, and Lucas discover a psychokinetic girl who claims to know Will’s location. While they try to uncover the truth a dark, mysterious government agency tries to cover everything up while something else is lurking in the dark.
- Full House: Not to confuse with ‘FullER House’ whi
ch is the storyline of the next generation. No, I’m talking about the old, original Full House. Quite a difference between Full House and the other shows I mentioned, but that’s what I like about it. In-between all those serious and dramatic tv shows it’s nice to have something light and funny to watch. For those who haven’t heard of it: Full House follows the story of a man Danny Tanner, his wife past away and he doesn’t know how to take care of his 3 little girls all on his own. But his best friend Joey and brother-in-law Jesse decide to live with him and help him raise the girls. It’s funny, loving and overall amazing.
- Last, but most certainly not least: Once Upon A Time. There is a town in Maine where every story book character you’ve ever known is trapped between two worlds, victims of a powerful curse. Storybrooke. Only one knows the truth and only one can break the spell. Emma Swan, a 28-year-old bail bonds collector who has been supporting herself since she was abandoned as a baby. Things change
for her when her son Henry, whom she abandoned years ago, finds her and asks for her help explaining that she is from a different world where she is Snow White’s missing daughter. Started watching this a long while ago, but finally caught up with it again and I am so glad I did, such a great show!
- The Theory Of Everything: This has definitely been one of the greatest movies I have seen in a while; Eddie Redmayne even received an Oscar for his role, portraying Stephen Hawking. The Theory of Everything is the story of the most brilliant and celebrated physicist of our time, Stephen Hawking, and Jane Wilde the arts student
fell in love with whilst studying at Cambridge in the 1960s. Little was expected from Stephen Hawking, a bright but shiftless student of cosmology, given just two years to live following the diagnosis of a fatal illness at 21 years of age. He became galvanized, however, by the love of fellow Cambridge student, Jane Wilde, and he went on to be called the successor to Einstein, as well as a husband and father to their three children. Over the course of their marriage as Stephen’s body collapsed and his academic renown soared, fault lines were exposed that tested the lineaments of their relationship and dramatically altered the course of both of their lives.
- Letters to Juliet: Sophie dreams of becoming a writer and travels to Verona, Italy where she meets the “Secretaries of Juliet”. A few lovely women who write back to people who write letters to Juliet for love advice. Juliet helps them out and while picking up the letters she finds one written fifty years ago. Being a believer in true love she writes hoping to give the girl the answer she was searching for so long ago. She never expected her to come to Verona, bringing along her very attractive grandson. They soon begin a journey to find the notorious Lorenzo Bartillini. This is just one of those romantic comedies that you can’t help but love.
- When Harry Met Sally: Harry and Sally first meet as they finish college in Chicago and spend 18 hours together in a car headed to New York. They don’t quite hit off, particularly after Harry opines that a man and a woman can never be just friends because he’ll always want to have sex with her. Over the next 10 years, they occasionally meet and soon do in fact become fast friends. They share the intimate details of their lives – hopes, dreams, failures and successes – and in the process also fall in love. It’s not evident that will be able to sustain their relationship once they sleep together however. At first I didn’t really know what to think of this movie, but wow did I love it. Such a great plot story.
- Nick & Norah’s Infinite Playlist: Nick, a high-school senior from Hoboken, can’t stop obsessing about Tris, his cute, blond, conniving ex-girlfriend. Norah, also a senior and an acquaintance of Tris’s, is dissed by Tris at a club in New York City, so to show she’s cool and has a boyfriend, she goes up a stranger, whispers in his ear, and kisses him. It’s Nick. Thus begins a night of fits and starts between Nick and Norah as they share a love of music, hunt for an elusive band scheduled to play somewhere that night, search for Norah’s drunk friend Caroline – with the help of Nick’s
gay band mates, and keep running into Tris and Nora’s sort-of boyfriend. Both Nick and Norah have to figure out what they want. I was afraid this was going to be a lame movie, but I had heard people talk about this more often, and I was quite curious. Some scenes were a bit predictable, but it was a lot of fun to watch.
What are some of your favorite things to watch on Netflix ? What kind of tv shows or movies do you guys like ? I would love to know!
Read my latest post here